On Jul 5, 2007, at 1:29 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> the new interface is super clean, consistent and flexible.  and
>> with that, we are able to add more features onto it.  a cluttered
>> interface doesn't accept new functionalities as easily.
> There was one more difference betwen filter* and select* - first is
> just building a query, 2nd is building a query and executing it.
> Are u going to have .execute() just like the sql interface?
> it does make a lot of sense to have 2 _similar_ interfaces, for
> similar things, e.g. querying via orm and querying via sql.

youd think so, but in this case its wrong.  Query does something
distinctly different from a SQL statement.  hence removing the name
overlap will help eliminate confusion over this.

the closest analogy on the SQL statement would be to provide all(),
one(), and first() methods.  but the SQL statement returns
ResultProxy which has fetchXXX semantics, so doesnt really fit so much.

the reason theyre different is because the ResultProxy is a lot more
flexible in its particular situation,which is that theres no "class"
representing the structure of the row...so an index based, column-
name-based, and column-object based indexing system makes more sense.