works for me:

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.orm import *

e = create_engine('sqlite://')
m = MetaData(e)
t= Table('t1', m,
     Column('id', Integer, primary_key=True),
     Column('col', String(50)),
     Column('data', String(50)),
     )
t.create()

class Mapper(object):
     @property
     def col(self):
         return u"Some read-only value."

mapper(Mapper, t, exclude_properties=('col',))

sess = sessionmaker()()
x = Mapper()
x.data = "some data"
sess.save(x)
sess.commit()
sess.clear()

assert sess.query(Mapper).one().data == "some data"
assert sess.query(Mapper).one().col == u"Some read-only value."

x = sess.query(Mapper).one()
x.data = "some new data"
sess.commit()
assert sess.query(Mapper).one().data == "some new data"