I am having a problem inserting binary data into an existing MS DB.

A very simple example is like this

class FooTable:
  __tablename__ = 'mytable'
  keycol = Column(String(15), nullable=False, primary_key=True)
  bincol = Column(Binary(4),  nullable=False)

  def __init__(self, keyval, binval):
    self.keycol = keyval
    self.bincol = binval

s (this is my session)

new = FooTable('row1')
s.add(new)
s.commit()

At this point I get a server error like so:
"""
Disallowed implicit conversion from data type varchar to data type
binary, table 'TWO.dbo.SY00500', column 'BCHEMSG1'. Use the CONVERT
function to run this query.
"""
I have tried everything I can think of ["",0,0x0,'0x0',hex(0)] as
binval for this col and always come back to the same error.

For my setup, I am on SA .5 with pymssql on MacOSX 10.5.  I did see
the notice about some non-specific binary issues with pymssql, but
nothing indicated it flat out didn't work.

I am hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Sam Widmer