Thanks for the responses so far.

The reason we tried pymssql is because it is much easier to get running on
OSX.  At the moment our efforts to get pyodbc working on Macs have met with
alot of frustration.

However, we would have done things differently if we had seen different
wording in the SqlAlchemy docs.  For instance, a notice that binary fields
do not work with pymssql.  This would have put us down the pyodbc path right
away.  Instead, I found the non-specific statement in the MSSQL Known Issues
section.  I then searched for what those issues were and found plenty of
Unicode Type issues but nothing really relating to Binary types.

So, with all the above in mind we are proceeding down the pyodbc path.

For the project, I am not asking for any work to be done on pymssql but
rather that the Known Issues section be clarified to state that Binary Types
do not work.