There's no doubt that pyodbc is the better-supported option; the pymssql
module hasn't been updated in two years, and it relies on the Microsoft DB
lib, which has been deprecated for a long, long time and is no longer
supported, and may not even work with MSSQL 2008. Here's the deprecation
notice from MSSQL 2000 docs, and I remember earlier warnings from MS way
back in the MSSQL 7.0 days

 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa936940.aspx).

That said, pymssql does have some things going in its favor: it's simpler to
set up on *nix OS's than an iODBC/FreeTDS setup, and it's arguably the best
performing option for MSSQL.

> appears to have poor support for non-ASCII streams.

Pretty much, yeah. It is ignorant of the high-order bit on 8-bit characters
and just passes it through, much like a C memcpy() might, but there is
certainly no support at all for unicode: The MS-DBlib is essentially an MS
riff of the old Sybase DBlib, which was floating around well before the
first published Unicode standard in 1991.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand - the original SQLalchemy MSSQL module was
written against a pretty old version of pymssql (prior to .7.2) and that old
version had pretty weak support for Binary columns. The SQLA MSSQL module
dealt with that by monkeypatching a handler that replaces a Binary column
with a String column, which is almost certainly the cause of the problem at
hand here.

It may be possible to fix that issue, but I'm not sure I want to invest any
more effort into pymssql as it's clearly a dead duck moving forward.  Should
we? I'm not sure why we continue to see list users trying out pymssql - is
there still interest in that path for a reason, or was it just the first hit
on a Google search for python+mssql?

Rick