it still is needed if you explicitly need an alias() of your SELECT
statement.  joining to it, embedding it within aliased().    haven't
figured out yet if there's some way to make it "automatic" in all
cases or if thats appropriate.

also more controverially im thinking of adding a .c. to Query.   but
we'll see if that use case arises first.