Hi,

Right now I'm really only using multiple threads for speeding up
downloads over the internet (which I need to update the data).
Actually commiting the data is still done via the gui's thread
session.  At some point speeding up the algorithms would be nice, a
concurrent solution would be ideal seeing as how the calculations for
each record are independent.  Though I might look into RPC for that
instead to get actual speed ups.  That will probably solve the thread
/ session problem in any case.

The unit testing has revealed some serious problems.  Mainly todo with
traits and the declarative extension not knowing how to cooperate (eg.
traits provides a mechanism to set up default values, though the
instrumented attribute obviously overrides that and returns what sql
says it should).  I really don't want to set up the mapper from a
class definition myself, declarative makes that much simpler so i
don't want to give up on that.  So I'll have to create my own
intrumented attribute / traits subclass.  Either a trait that wraps an
instrumented attribute, or an instrumented attribute that wraps a
trait.  I need to somehow provide both traits and SA with the
functionality they need in a single attribute on the instance.  What
do you think will be easiest?

That of course raises the question of what should take precedence.
The value provided by traits or the one from the database.  Or
whichever is not None.

I'll look into the mapper extensions.

I never thought some simple unit testing would cause so many headaches :-)

I'm talking to someone at enthought to maybe integrate that into their
sandbox for now.  I'm sure once someone else with more experience with
the traits framework looks at it we'll be able to figure out what the
simplest way to use sql with traits would be.   And then the
implementation should become clearer as well.

Hope you're having a nice day,
Crhistian