On Feb 14, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net> wrote:
>> On 2/14/11 11:25 , M3nt0r3 wrote:
>>>
>>> My installer for windows download during the process some libs. I use
>>> easy_install sqlalchemy and it works. Now too works but 0.7.b1 is not
>>> working with the app itself now so it create a lot of problem. I thought
>>> that if 0.7.b1 is a beta and brokes API maybe it should be better to use
>>> sqlalchemy==0.7 or sqlalchemy == dev.
>>
>> It sounds like the dependencies in your package are too liberal. I would
>> change your dependency to "SQLAlchemy >=0.6, <0.7dev". That way you can
>> never accidentally install an incompatible SQLAlchemy version.
>
> If the changes that break the code did not have a deprecation step in
> 0.6, that's still an issue to fix imo
>
> you don't release at pypi a version that breaks the latest stable.  or
> if you do, you check the "hidden" attribute on that release, to avoid
> this problem with installers

Tarek -

We're talking about 0.7b1 and "hidden" is checked, I always check it
immediately and un-hide the previous released version as soon as I put up a
beta.  It appears that easy_install and pip still go out and install the
highest version regardless of the "hidden" flag.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=sqlalchemy&submit=search ->
shows 0.6.6

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/SQLAlchemy/ -> shows 0.6.6

what else am I supposed to be clicking so that I can have beta releases of
newer versions on pypi ?