On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2011, at 5:53 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net> wrote:
>> ..

>>> SQLAlchemy 0.7b1 is hidden. The hidden flag only hides it from humans
>>> though, not from setuptools.
>>
>> oh true...I forgot it's not hidden in the simple index :/
>
> OK so you're the expert - how does one release a beta on pypi without
> crashing everyone's "stable" install ?   should i just stick to sourceforge
> until final release ?

Unfortunately, Setuptools will pick the latest version and won't care
about beta tags (zc.buildout has such feature -- "prefer-final", and
Distutils2 too)

So I guess the best way with the current eco-system is to avoid
pushing any unstable release to PyPI

or... if you have the time to do so, push a new 0.7 beta that makes
sure people that run on the latest 0.6 can run it -- with deprecation
warnings all over the place :)

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org