On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Eric Lemoine
<eric.lemo...@camptocamp.com> wrote
..

> But aren't apps supposed to use <=0.6.99 to avoid backward compats
> issues? Apps that don't will also break when 0.7 final is on pypi.

There are different things here:

1/ PyPI allows projects to publish any release, and easy_install will
pick the latest one, whether it's a "final" (==stable) or not. You can
publish your trunk if you want.

2/ An application that defines a dependency can define it in different flavors:

a - "Give me the latest release that was made available at PyPI"
b - "Give me the latest release from the 0.6.x series",   it can use a
<0.7 or <0.6.99
c - "Give me version XX"   <--- best practice once in production

For applications that are using 2.a, the interpretation of most people
is that "the latest release at PyPI" they are depending on is not a
development release. If they want a development release, they do it
explicitly in their environment to leave on the edge.

3/ a user types "easy_install SQLAlchemy" and wants the "latest stable"

So, yeah, when 0.7.1 final will be out, some apps will break -- but
they've been warned and they can choose to change their code or pin
their dependency to the 0.6.x series. But right now, it's a
development release that has been published for feedback as opposed to
a final release.

The less disruptive process (until distutils2 is available) in that
case is to let people opt in to be beta testers, and let "SQLAlchemy"
means "latest stable", whether it's called by "easy_install
SQLAlchemy" or in the install_requires option in setuptools.

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org