At 12:27 PM 11/21/2003 -0800, Will Leshner wrote:
But wouldn't that only work in the case where the list machine also handles all of our individual accounts? I would think our email clients simply send the email out to both addresses and they have no way of knowing it actually ends up in the same place.

No, the mail client on the list server can parse the email and see all of the addressees in the To and CC headers. The only thing it cannot see is the BCC, for obvious reasons. So, before sending the email to the list, it could first grab the list of people to send to from its DB (is it using SQLite? :) then remove any that are in the incoming messages To and CC lists. Pretty straightforward string processing.

I think the default reply-to should include the list, even if it also includes the sender. Much less error prone. For this list, unlike many others I am on, I have to remind myself to reply-all instead of reply. I find reply-all as a general practice is annoying at the very least to many unintented recipients.

michael