From: Greg Obleshchuk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 April 2004 23:02
To: D. Richard Hipp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [sqlite] A proposal for SQLite version 3.0

Hello,
I just read the proposed changes and they seem fine.  A couple of thing.

The data types I think are great but can we have a large and small integer?
I noticed some people (embedded systems people) complain about this.  I
quite happy with the large type but as integers will now be stored as the
native type that will double the storage requirement for numbers (64-bit
integer taking 8bytes where 32 take 4bytes)  So may be something like
if the value is a number then check to see if it fits in a 32bit integer if
it does use that otherwise use a 64 bit.  If this is too much trouble in
code then maybe a compile directive to use a certain size integer.

When using a INTEGER PRIMARY KEY perhaps we could use

INTEGER SMALL PRIMARY KEY
and
INTEGER LARGE PRIMARY KEY

Support for user definable collating.  I'm assuming that this will give us
the ability to turn SQLite into a non case sensitive system by defining our
own collation which is not case sensitive?  Which is great and you state
that there will be two predefined collations
COLLATE TEXT and COLLATE NUMERIC.  Can I suggest that you create a third
pre-defined collation (to make it easy on us that want it) can you create a
COLLATE TEXT_CI .  Which would be a case in-sensitive collation.  Then the
people that really want this can use it off the bad, as it were.  I'm sure
it will be a lot easier for you to create it that for someone else.

API and preferred way of executing queries
I'm assuming there will still be the wrapper to execute a SQL in one line .
You state that there may or may not be the call-back function wrapper.  I
would be an advocate for keeping it.  This way of handling returned data is
most useful.  Sometimes when returning thousands or more rows of data you
want to cancel the statement without a call-back function you must wait
until the statement is finished and then discard the result.  Having a
call-back allows you (or the user) to terminate the statement.

Apart from that great changes , more complete but things change and grow
(which is good).  If I had to decide which is my most wanted feature from
the stuff above I would say COLLATE TEXT_CI as this would enable me to use =
instead of LIKE in my lookups (I really don't like case sensitive data in
the real world)

kind regards
Greg O