  From: Darren Duncan
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 8:46 AM
  Subject: RE: [sqlite] A proposal for SQLite version 3.0

  At 11:22 PM +0100 4/11/04, Steve O'Hara wrote:
  >I agree with Greg, the most irksome feature of SQLite is the case
  >sensititvity - it's one of the few things MS got right with SQLserver.  I
  >know this is more mainstream/standard SQL behaviour but it's outdated in
  >modern SQL applications that nearly always do some kind of linguistic
  >searching.
  >In fact, I'd go one step further and advocate making SQLite case-insensitive
  >as a rule.
  >I'm waiting for the flames.......
  >Steve

  As far as I'm concerned, the issue of case-sensitive vs insensitive
  is related to locale or nationality specific matters.  It involves
  treating a pair of different characters as being the same character.
  Besides our latin characters, does any other written language have
  such a concept as upper/lowercase?  Whichever is available will
  probably have its fans.  Case-insensitive may be more like a "natural
  human language" whereas the other may be less, or not.

  I think that both methods should be supported, perhaps with a compile
  time directive determining the default, and a run-time directive
  changing it on a case by case basis.

  One thing to make absolutely certain, though, is that the SQLite API
  provides a means to programmatically determine at runtime what
  behaviour is being used.  If nothing else, it allows an application
  which either expects one behaviour or is able to adapt to either, to
  know how to talk to the database such that its expectations match
  reality.

  Personally, I would hate for an application which expects a
  case-sensitive unique field, and inserts multiple rows that it thinks
  are distinct, only to have one fail or overwrite the other because
  some case-insensitive rule says they are actually the same.

  -- Darren Duncan