On 2017/06/20 2:34 PM, Gilles wrote:

Lessons I learned:

1. In CSV files, double-check how data are encoded

2. Do not use the sqlite3.exe CLI if the data use anything more than the basic latin alphabet. Instead, use a GUI application (eg. for Windows, SQLite Studio, SQLitespeed, etc.)

Every lesson is valuable! Just to be clear - there is nothing wrong with using the CLI. When pointing it to a file that is correctly encoded the import must work correctly (if not, it's a bug) - It's just difficult to enter weird and wonderful Unicode characters outside the BMP basic Latin plane (the first 127 code-points) via the console, or do queries using them, all because the Windows console specifically is not Unicode-enabled.

As an aside - I never understood the reasons for that. I get that Windows has a less "techy" clientèle than Linux for instance, and that the backwards compatibility is paramount, and that no console command ever need fall outside the 7-bit ANSI range of characters... but geez, how much effort can it be to make it Unicode-friendly? It's not like the Windows API lacks any Unicode functionality - even Notepad can handle it masterfully.