> On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
>
> (It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
> mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should want
> to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
> "deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this time.)

I literally spent years exploring concepts in that vein, and almost got a
product like that built while I was at Apple ten years ago.

The closest existing solution I’ve found is groups.io <http://groups.io/>,
which is a pretty good integration of mailing-lists and web-forums. You can get
posts as emails or in a web interface, every email has a link to a view of the
thread, and of course you can browse and search the archives. (Yeah, it’s a lot
like Google Groups, but IMHO the functionality is better and the UI cleaner.)

—Jens