On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Nico Williams wrote:

Another thing I've done in the past is: download list archives, run a
script to fix the From lines so the archive is then a proper mbox format,
then use mutt. :) It helps if the archives keep Message-ID headers.

Nico,

  I've not followed this thread so my comment might be way off-base.
However, ... I use alpine (and pine before that) which uses mbox for
messages, with a direct subscription to the mail list. I run postfix here
but need to now relay outboun messages through my ISP since Frontier
Communications no longer supports my static IP address and I'm forced to use
their DHCP server. Inbound messages, however, come directly in and are
stored in ~/mail/sqlite.

Rich