There is a solution since about 1984 ... it is called NNTP (Usenet News).
Google Groups is basically Usenet News with a (so some people thing -- but not
I -- I detest so-called web-forums) purty front end to the news reader.
Gateways between mailman, bitnet, usenet, and a bunch of other stuff existed
for a long time (and still do, mostly).

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.