On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 12:38:42PM -0700, Jens Alfke wrote:
> > On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
> > (It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
> > mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should want
> > to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
> > "deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this time.)
>
> I literally spent years exploring concepts in that vein, and almost
> got a product like that built while I was at Apple ten years ago.

Supposedly the IETF was going to contract out setting up such a service
for IETF lists.  IDK what became of that.  I should check.

> The closest existing solution I’ve found is groups.io
> <http://groups.io/>, which is a pretty good integration of
> mailing-lists and web-forums. You can get posts as emails or in a web
> interface, every email has a link to a view of the thread, and of
> course you can browse and search the archives. (Yeah, it’s a lot like
> Google Groups, but IMHO the functionality is better and the UI
> cleaner.)

I'm not fond of web fora, but a good integration would be nice, for
sure.  An IMAP service would be fantastic for users like me.  The need
to keep some state (unless we enhance MUAs to do it for read-only IMAP
mailboxes) requires user accounts, which requires more of a business
model :(

Nico