On 9/29/05, Ralf Junker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not true for SQLite3. If you execute the following
> SQL commands
>
> CREATE TABLE t (a REAL, b REAL);
> INSERT INTO t VALUES (5, 2);
>
> both values are stored as INTEGER and not as REAL as one would expect by
> the column affinity. In fact, this behaviour is intentional and is stated in
> the help as a feature to minimize storage space for INTEGER numbers.

D:\temp\convention>sqlite3 num.db
SQLite version 3.0.8
Enter ".help" for instructions
sqlite> CREATE TABLE t (a REAL, b REAL);
sqlite> INSERT INTO t VALUES (5, 2);
sqlite> select a/b from t;
2
sqlite> insert into t values(5.0,2);
sqlite> select a/b from t;
2
2.5
sqlite>

I guess if you're going to use sqlite you're going to have to
force typing explicitly if you're doing math with the sql engine.