And many US ISPs inject extra http request headers containing a
per-customer-tag into HTTP requests so that their bum-buddies can use the
information so provided to more accurately track web usage to a single
customer.  This is more prevalent for "Telco" operators, particularly mobile
data services.  Bell Canada also apparently.

Using TLS prevents this tampering (provided the ISP is not running a poxy which
bypasses end-to-end transport encryption).  In the "olden days" when the great
unwashed first started using the Internet the use of HTTP poxy's by ISPs
(particularly those run by the completely incompetent Telco's (which is most of
them)) use "transparent caching proxy" servers.  They programmed these
abominations (poxy's) to work improperly because it increased their profit
margin.  The easiest way to bypass them was to use TLS (as in HTTPS) since they
did not have the competence to intercept and MITM TLS traffic.

The world is a much more dangerous place now than it was three decades ago, and
TLS was required to get past the mischevious little imps back then, and the
need has only grown!

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.