George wrote:
Why can't we have both? I mean the software is in the public domain
there is nothing to hide so what's the point of encrypting the site?

ISPs and other intermediaries alter website traffic between the server and the client. The purpose of their alterations is irrelevant, you should get the data the server is trying to send you. You can never be sure if what you're getting is what the server tried to send you if you're getting that data over HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Also, spying on the connection is trivial when data is exchanged in the clear. Other parties really don't need to know what you're requesting from or sending to a website.

The software's lack of copyright really doesn't enter into any of this.