On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 08:41:51 +0100
Clemens Ladisch <clem...@ladisch.de> wrote:

> > It  strikes me that this would be nicer if sqlite offered this as
> > an intrinsic capability.
>
> How would SQLite know what the table and column names are?

When the SQL is loaded, it can be parsed and analyzed.  SQLite could,
if it chose, prevent dropping a table references by the stored SQL, or
at least report on missing/obsolete pieces.  But it need not do any
more than it currently does with views.

> How would that API be different from exec("SELECT SQL From StmtSQL
> WHERE StmtName = ?")+prepare?

Perhaps the least intrusive change would be to support special syntax
in the prepare function.  If the first word of the SQL is EXEC instead
of insert/update/delete/select, look up the name in the procedure
table, subsitute the retrieved text, and proceed per usual.

Rather than inserting the SQL into a user-visible table, it might be
preferable to support CREATE PROCEDURE.

--jkl