On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 15:24:51 -0700
Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 2, 2018, at 12:50 AM, Thomas Kurz <sqlite.2...@t-net.ruhr>
> > wrote:
> >
> > My opinion is that the logic for database queries should be held
> > together with the data.
>
> Why? The logic has to be in the application itself (where else would
> it come from?) to copy into the database in the first place. So why
> create a duplicate of it in the db file?

The usual answer is that the query can be modified to produce the same
logical result without recompiling the application.  An unmodified
application could use a newer database with a different schema, and
still obtain the same results by calling the (new) procedure by the
same name.

In object-oriented terms, that's information hiding: the "internal"
structure can change, while the access method continues to present the
same interface.

To a limited extent, views have the same effect.

--jkl