On Oct 11, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> what is the reason that the SQLite mailing list archives...are private for
> members only in order to be read?

Probably because you can extract email addresses and real names from the
archives.

Harvesting of such information is a problem inherent in any SMTP mailing list
that wants to allow direct replies to individual members without going back
through a central service, as Mailman allows.

That gives three alternatives:

1. Let any bad actor harvest this info.

2. Hide the info entirely so that direct replies aren’t possible.

3. Switch to some other tech that ensures that only list members can talk
directly to other list members, so that the up-front anti-spammer tech prevents
the service from being used for spamming.

The first two are probably options in Mailman, but they aren’t great options.

> The archives can be viewed at a mirror such as
> http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/

Those mirrors usually take option #2 above.

If this mailing list moves to any other service, it is likely to be to a Fossil
Forum, which we’ve been using successfully within the Fossil project — a DVCS
created to aid the development of SQLite — for about a year now.

You can read more about this feature here:

   https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/forum.wiki

and you can see the existing forum here:

   https://fossil-scm.org/forum/forum

That’s not for SQLite discussion.  I’m pointing you to it so you can see what
this mailing list may eventually become.

Fossil Forums currently implement option #2 above, but I’m hoping we get #3
eventually.

> Additionally, it appears that the SQLite Mailman server is configured to
> suppress "reply-to" to the sender of an email.

You can’t get everyone on the list to agree with The One True Way such settings
must be set, so *someone* will always be unhappy with the way the list works.

> making the mailing list opaque leads to user questions that are entirely
> related to SQLite and nothing else being posted in downstream project
> communities instead, which pushes the community response burden downwards.

You’re ignoring spammers, other bad actors, GDPR…  Complete transparency simply
isn’t possible any more in 2019.