Are there specific Mailman CVEs you can refer towards such that these settings
could not be opened up? The read-only archives appear to be static files, so
there is no additional security issue that isn't already presented by the
existing cgi-bin already open for public access. Similarly for the reply-to
issue, only email addresses present in messages that have been approved to be
part of the list would be subject to an automatic reply.

As a project maintainer myself, I wouldn't want to link these simple
improvements to a wholesale replacement of the mailing list system. GNU Mailman
is still very widely used and IMO does the job very well, and if the archives
were opened up then they would be indexable by search engines such as Google.