On Oct 15, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Peter da Silva <res...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A mail server speaks SMTP for both inbound and outbound

That’s only useful if you’ve configured Fossil to integrate with a third-party
bidirectional SMTP server, which is *not* the only way to configure Fossil’s
email integration:

    https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/alerts.md#advanced

Even if you did decide to tie your Fossil instance to a separate SMTP server
for outbound email alerts, it’s a separate software integration for the inbound
path, as I pointed out in my prior reply.  Outbound requires writing an RFC
2822 message to a file or pipe, then calling “sendmail -ti” or similar on it.
Inbound requires integrating with mbox, Maildir, DMBS storage, etc.  You don’t
get one for free by writing the other.

Are you volunteering to write at least one of these inbound integrations?  drh
hasn’t decided to write any of them yet, and none of the other big Fossil
contributors have decided they want to take such a project on, either.  Someone
needs to have the itch; who?

Then with one of those written, we’ll want several more, because there’s half a
dozen common alternatives to the way this can work.

As I said in the prior reply, my impression is that drh simply isn’t interested
in doing any of these, because he’d rather finish his own SMTP server, the
partially-complete one currently built into Fossil.  But his time isn’t
infinite, so he’s apparently got better things to do than finishing it.

Maybe he’ll eventually give up on that project and write one or more of these
integrations with a third-party SMTP server.  But that also has yet to
eventuate.

> IMAP/POP/webmail is all part of the user interface stack…

That was just an illustration to show that the ability to send email via SMTP
doesn’t mean you automatically get the ability to receive email via SMTP.  Even
when the same software is used for both communication directions, it’s a
separate integration to do both tasks.

In any case, a web forum is also part of the UI stack, so it is no surprise
that Fossil Forums should also exhibit the sorts of asymmetries you find in
other email-to-thingy systems.