On Oct 11, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Tim Streater <t...@clothears.org.uk> wrote:

> A mailing list suits me just fine. It works well and gets next to no spam. In
> addition, it's not yet another damn website I have to log into to use and
> remember my username/password for. And I don't care if it's not "modern”.

Fossil Forums allow you to subscribe to email notifications.  From the reader’s
perspective, it’s really very little different from the current Mailman based
scheme.

What Fossil Forums currently does *not* allow is posting or replying via email.
 That requires either tight integration with some other SMTP mail server so
that incoming mail can be delivered to the Forum feature for email address
vetting and such, or it requires that Fossil itself has an SMTP email server
built in so it can handle it directly.

There’s a start to both options in the current code base, but neither method is
anywhere near production-ready.

That may be one reason why this mailing list isn’t a Fossil Forum yet.

We get a bunch of benefits in exchange for this loss of functionality relative
to traditional mailing lists, given at the top of this doc:

    https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/forum.wiki

I’m a bit of a mailing list traditionalist myself, but I’m also quite happy
with the way the Fossil Forum feature came out.  I’m using it myself on my own
public projects.