> On Nov 11, 2019, at 9:30 AM, Jose Isaias Cabrera <jic...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Say that I am writing a report and I only want to print the first 20
> characters of a string, that would be something like,

Hang on — why exactly 20 characters? Of text in an arbitrary language, which is
to be displayed in an arbitrary font, with an arbitrary line width?

I don't know about you, but the only time I think about "exactly 20 characters"
is when I'm writing to a terminal window. Most of the time that's ASCII, and
even if it isn't, Asian characters are going to be double-width, and emojis
might render an arbitrary number of code points to a single-width graphic. So
"20 characters" still doesn't map to a fixed width onscreen.

If I'm writing a report, I more likely want to render only the first _line_ of
a string, i.e. enough text to fill some number of points/millimeters/pixels of
space, possibly minus an ellipsis. That is a job for a text rendering library,
not `writeflen`.

—Jens