Jens Alfke, on Monday, November 11, 2019 12:47 PM, wrote...

> Hang on — why exactly 20 characters? Of text in an arbitrary language, which
> is to be displayed in an arbitrary font, with an arbitrary line width?
>
> I don't know about you, but the only time I think about "exactly 20
> characters" is when I'm writing to a terminal window. Most of the time that's
> ASCII, and even if it isn't, Asian characters are going to be double-width,
> and emojis might render an arbitrary number of code points to a single-width
> graphic. So "20 characters" still doesn't map to a fixed width onscreen.
>
> If I'm writing a report, I more likely want to render only the first _line_
> of a string, i.e. enough text to fill some number of
> points/millimeters/pixels of space, possibly minus an ellipsis. That is a job
> for a text rendering library, not `writeflen`.

Compared to me, you are a genius in everything, but you just lack a little bit
of understanding about other languages and their localization behavior.  As a
Technical Project Manager for 12 years on my last job, all of these statements
that I am making, and yours above, were part of my daily routines. Translating
website, reports, documentation, a Printer's GUI,..., etc. from 2 to 23
languages involves a lot of these little nuances you are bringing above.
Unless you are deep in these projects people have no idea what it takes to
translate a document, keep a translation memory, right to left behavior,
expanding and contracting, and a bunch of other nick-picky customers
translation demands. If I had time, I would keep this going, :-).  Thanks.

josé