Perhaps the analogy is better the other way around - try driving a stick
shift after driving an automatic. Takes a gear change or two for you to
realise what the other pedal is for.

As you mention, this is a constant point of discussion on this board.
Perhaps 'Version 3 Data Types' should be given more prominence under
'Documentation'. Alternatively, perhaps the subject should be touched upon
briefly in 'SQLite in 5 Minutes Or Less'.

Regards.

rayB

|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|         |           11/05/2006 10:23 |
|         |           sqlite-users     |

sqlite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Scouten wrote:
> > SQLite derives that by parsing the string that you've already found.
>
> I found the method in section 2.1 of this page:
> http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html
>

>  > I think it does store that in some internal fashion, so
>  > it's not *re-parsing* it constantly, but that is not
>  > available through the API.
>  >

> Pity. I guess I'll have to parse it myself...

I continue to be bewildered by programmers'
fixation on datatypes.  This has been a constant
theme for 6 years now.  And in all that time, I
have never been able to figure out why so many
people think they need to know the "type" of a
"column".

The best theory I have is that people who have
always driven a stick shift must have difficulty
driving a car with an automatic transmission.

--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

************** PLEASE CONSIDER OUR ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING
*************
******************* Confidentiality and Privilege Notice
*******************

This e-mail is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is
confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message
to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone, and you
should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.
Confidentiality and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of
mistaken delivery to you.

Qantas Airways Limited
ABN 16 009 661 901

Visit Qantas online at http://qantas.com