Thankyou. The Firefox people have merely removed their dependance upon an unreliable resource, cross OS file locking. A prudent design choice.

If they come up with an elegant distributed lock protocol it would be worth propagating universally in the light of the success of Firefox and its consequent broad distribution. I see that it has already grabbed perhaps 30% of browser users.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"Jay Sprenkle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If you run two instances of firefox you trash
your own database.

No, you didn't read what I said.  Firefox implements their
own locking mechanism, so two instances of firefox will
play nicely together.  The problem is when some other
application, that does not follow firefox's locking protocol,
tries to access the database while firefox is running.
--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>