I have to admit that I'm a bit pissed of by your refusal to try out even the
tiniest bit of what you want to know. I assume your bit-wise questions mean
that you want to know one thing: is my database app fast enough using SQLite
off a thumbdrive? Just estimates:

2min: download SQLite
3min: compile and install SQLite
10min: hack a Perl script that fills a database with random data 10000 times
10min: hack another Perl script that reads the data 10000 times
10min: run your tests using "time" or a good ol' stopwatch

That is, within thirty-odd minutes you'd know more about this particular issue
than the rest of the list together. Instead, you try to make others think about
your problem for half a day.

regards,
Markus

--