Steve Davis wrote:
My consideration has been that although setting up a server and mySQL is
trivial for me, it might not be for someone else who isn't a geek.
You should take a look at http://www.cherrypy.org/ From that site:
CherryPy <http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/CherryPy> is a pythonic, object-oriented HTTP framework. It provides the foundation over which complex web-based applications can be written, with little or no knowledge of the underlying protocols. CherryPy <http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/CherryPy> allows developers to build web applications in much the same way they would build any other object-oriented Python program.
There's a tutorial at http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/CherryPyTutorial

Martin