I'm new to this list and to the SQLite website, so my feedback is more of
the "first impression" kind. And that impression is: the site is ok. It is
clear, simple, with almost anything I need reachable through one or two
clicks. The things I would probably do is place a google search field
somewhere in a corner and list what programming languages are supported.

The comments you mention, in my opinion, may be valid for promoting a
product sold to consumers or enterprise, which are not target audience I
would associate with this mailing list. A developer who looks for an
embedded database doesn't need eye candy, and big name users don't mean
anything (everyone uses Oracle). But that's subjective, of course. Here's
what I was looking at when making try/not try decision for sqlite: a)
license; b) features; c) could be used with Java; d) source code
availability; e) project age and release cycle (is it too young or already
dead); f) is active community present; g) options for commercial support
available.

> (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software is free.

I guess mentioning this won't hurt, but it's no problem. Certainly someone
who can write SQL can also find "license" in the menu :)

> (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
> the software.  This suggests low quality.

This suggests openness. If it went "we have no bugs in our software", I
would probably leave immediately. But there's a point that news column
usually takes less than 50% of page's width, something I'd agree with.

> (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".

s/changes/improvements/ :) Seriously, there's too much care for single
words, IMHO.

> (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the code is not stable.

And 98% test coverage mentioned in the other column suggests otherwise. For
me, frequent releases are good. What will you do anyway, hide release
history?

Hope this helps,
Igor

We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite website and would love
to have suggestions from the community.  If you have any ideas on how to
improve the SQLite website, please constribute either to the mailing list or
directly to me.

Here are some links to competing database products that might inspire
comments:

   http://www.postgresql.org/
   http://www.firebirdsql.org/
   http://www.hsqldb.org/
   http://opensource.ingres.com/
   http://db.apache.org/derby/
   http://exist.sourceforge.net/

Among the comments received already are these:

  (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
      is free.
  (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
      the software.  This suggests low quality.
  (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".
  (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
      code is not stable.
  (5) Move the BigNameUsers to the front page
      (see http://www.sqlite.org/wiki?p=BigNameUsers)
  (6) Need more eye-candy.

I do not necessary agree with the above comments, but I am open to any and
all ideas.  You will not hurt my feels, so speak freely.

Thanks in advance for your input.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>