I took a quick look at the page with Firebug and could see that there are spaces embedded in the toolbar, a Firefox feature. They could be removed by concatenating the href's onto one line of text. The font specified plus the spaces renders to a width greater than the table so it wraps.

I am looking at it on a wide screen and it does not render to the full screen width. I would guess that making the toolbar an image would stop the wrapping. The image would scale to 100%.

Scott Hess wrote:
I probably am misunderstanding something.  The box scales down to
narrower windows just fine, so why can't the box scale until it hits
the width of my browser, and _then_ start doing the vertical-wrapping
thing?

-scott