Turns out that bash does implement some kind of caching... this may
also be known as keyseq binding.

See <http://blog.spikesource.com/pathcache.htm>

Of course, the canonical bash docs at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html> are more than
copious.

Don't know why you suddenly got bit by this, but glad to see that you
are not wasting time on this anymore... what a serious pain these
mysterious computer problems can be.

--
Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/