> Keeping the discussion academic, "hype a product..." is a
> business model that apparently has been used to at least some
> degree by a company called Microsoft.  It tends to work
> because the model permits them such an early lead that even
> better products have difficulty catching up.
>
> I do most of my programming in Delphi, a Borland product
> which remains in my opinion, even in its shadow of former
> glory state, a far more straightforward and powerful product
> than Visual Studio.  Borland has always been a technical
> company, not a market driven one and its flagship product is
> surviving only because it remains a more well rounded Windows
> solution than its competition.  However, it is only surviving
> and is unlikely to actually thrive ever again.

There's room for everyone - just how much room, that's the question (then
mergers and acquisitions).

Penetration isnt always the same based on territory. Delphi enjoyed a
disproportionate amount of influence in Europe, for example. Lack of good
2-byte support plus other market factors also made Asian market penetration
a bit different. Big, well financed companies with a strong lead in North
America can play catch up later if its in their interest.

And we are talking Windows only development here anyway. MS doesn't have
much of a lock on the Linux, Mac OS or Unix markets. While I wouldn't want
to depend 100% on any one of these other markets, being there can make a
significant difference.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President