> This scenario has played out multiple times.
>
> Say what you want about DeviceSQL the product, but one thing
> is undeniable: their sales presentations are top-notch.  The
> first remark of yours that I quoted above shows this to be the case.

Yes - but a company that sells technical products has to also do that, too.

> But impressive sales talks do not necessarily translate into
> impressive products.  In fact, a management-oriented sales
> presentation, such as provided by Encirq, can be a put-off
> for technical people.  The engineers and programmers I
> normally deal with are much more attracted to the droll,
> just-the-facts type of product that they see and get with
> SQLite.  Flashly sales talks that are low in technical
> detail, such as those offered in the past by Encirq (I
> haven't seen the "webinar") tend to frighten many technical people.

That's true. A lot of those kinds of sales presentations are correctly
targeted at decision makers that make financial decisions. I don't consider
it a bad thing - it's really a necessity to be competitive. The bear in the
woods isnt evil, he's just hungry like the other bears :-)

> When engineers contacted me with help in defending SQLite, it
> was not because they didn't understand SQLite.  It was
> because they recognized that their management did not
> understand SQLite, and that they had no hope of communicating
> as effectively as the Encirq sales team, and that they were
> desparate for any kind of help they could get.  Sadly, they
> got little help from me since I, like they, am hopelessly
> outclassed by the Encirq sales people when it comes to giving
> impressive talks.  On no occasion have I told the engineers
> anything they didn't already know, though I might have helped
> them to organize their thoughts a little.

I think what you are seeing is evolution of the software industry. It really
isnt necessary for there to be such an extreme split between engineering and
management  - and by evolution I mean that engineering has to adapt to a
tighter relationship with management, or they are destined to have their
roles outsourced. Noone should know the product than its own engineers, and
its those who can bridge that divide that will be running the engineering
and IT departments.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President