Ah!  I am invoking sqlite in a "DOS" shell which on my machine uses
CP437, just as you say.

Ironically, this turns out to be a blessing.  The behavior of my data
source changed (I don't have control over it) from a space to a
non-breaking space.  If I had been using a a more modern codepage, I
might not have caught on as soon.

Thank you.  I'm a little wiser now.