I would suggest you force your software to use only one processor on both
dual- and quad-core machines and check the timings again. If the timings are
in the range of expectancy (due to hardware speed/processor frequency) then
your software has a bug related to NUMA. The non-uniform memory architecture
used by AMD since the Athlon64/Opteron line penalizes non-local memory
access - especially in an SMP scenario.

Mike