On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Rosemary Alles <al...@ipac.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Simon. I have been leaning that way too - considering switching.
>
> -rosemary.
>
> On May 22, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
>

>> On 23 May 2009, at 12:10am, Rosemary Alles wrote:
>>
>>> Multiple machines with multiple cpus. [snip]
>>
>>> The total size of
>>> current DB is up to 70mb.
>>
>> I suspect you'd be better off with MySQL.  (Am I allowed to say that
>> here ?)  See the last page of
>>
>> <http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html>
>>
>> MySQL runs as a service which can be connected to over the internet.
>> It runs all the time, whether anything is talking to it or not.
>> Everything that wants to change the database does it by talking to the
>> same server.  Consequently, the server can do its own change-caching,
>> keep indices in memory, and do the many other things that can be done
>> when you don't have to worry about other people accessing the files on
>> disk.  And it's designed to cope well with access from many clients
>> concurrently: the server doesn't need the client to do busy/waiting,
>> it just gives you the most up-to-date answers it has.
>>
>> At work, where I can run servers and need 24/7 uptime and concurrent
>> access from multiple clients I use MySQL.  At home where I want tiny/
>> fast/simple/embeddable/non-server I use SQLite.
>>
>> Fortunately, it's relatively easy to export from sqlite3 and import
>> into MySQL, or vice versa by exporting the database as a set of SQL
>> commands (.dump in sqlite3) and making minor adjustments.  And the
>> basic installation of MySQL (all you need) is free.
>>
>> I'm sorry if discussion of MySQL is forbidden here, but it sounds like
>> the right solution for this poster.

Suggesting a better alternative is definitely a very good advice, and
should be evaluated per one's needs. My advice would be to consider
Postgres instead of MySQL as an alternative. Pg is generally
considered a better database than MySQL, but subjective criteria
aside, Pg is also licensed with a better, more flexible licensing
terms, and since Pg was the inspiration for SQLite, you are likely to
find more compatibilities between the two.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org/
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org/
Charter Member, Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/
Science Commons Fellow, Geospatial Data http://sciencecommons.org