Dear Olaf,

Many thanks for your excellent analysis.

>> My primary concern now is to prevent a dead-lock.
> That seems to make sense now (I assume you're working
> "near a deadlock" with your multipe-client-requests, not
> going to sleep properly before the next retry).

Still makes no sense to me, how the absence of re-try code, while very
silly - yes;), can explain the vast difference in performance I see
between the "local-disk" scenario and the over-NFS scenario? In other
words can you explain the drop in performance by the absence of re-try
code? Even prior to eventually hitting a dead lock the performance over
NFS is lousy? Yet you say, it shouldn't be that bad due to the
(relatively) small size of the database and updates? The performance in
the local-disk/concurrent scenario is excellent... ?

Befuddled,
-rosemary.