Yes, good point.

If you partition the database into multiple databases, you will have
to place each on its own physical disk drive to increase transaction
rates.  If your base transaction rate with one drive is T, with N
drives it should be N*T;  4 drives gives you 4x the transaction rate,
etc.  Each of the drives has to be completely independent - no
filesystems crossing drives.

If you partition into multiple databases and keep them on the same
drive, your transaction rate will likely go down, because now you are
introducing seeks back and forth between the two databases as you
commit.

I think someone mentioned using the journal_data option with ext3 to
increase performance.  In theory, it possibly could, but on my Linux
system, it didn't.  I got the same results when I tried using tune2fs
to change it, though I'm not sure it actually did anything.

Jim

On 6/11/09, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Sam Carleton wrote:
>
>> I am a late comer to this discussion, so this might have already
>> been purposed...
>
> Additionally, if this was not mentioned already, you can partition
> your database across multiple physical files through the magic of
> 'attach database' or something and load balance across those.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(database)
>
> CHeers,
>
> --
> PA.