On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Noah Hart<n...@lipmantpa.com> wrote:

> Richard sent me a gentle reminder that read in part:

> Please also note that the SQLite source code is in the public domain, but
> the "SQLite" name is not.  SQLite is a registered trade mark.  If I don't
> defend the trademark, then I could lose it.  So, I really do need to insist
> that you not use the name "SQLite" for your product.
>

> This is an excellent reminder, and until this is done, I've removed access
> to the source code and will terminate this google code project.  I'll post
> an announcement in the future when the new project is ready.

A very valid point from DRH re. protecting the sanctity of SQLite, the
(tm), but the horse may have already left the stable. A quick search
on macupdate.com reveals the following products with ‘SQLite’ in their
name (with the indicated capitalization) --

MesaSQLite
SQLite Migrator
SQLite Diff
SQLiteManager X

and

SqliteQuery

I am sure there are more on Win and *nix platforms.

One question might be -- if one chooses a name that does not have
‘SQLite’ or any variations thereof in it (from what I can see, Noah
called the product ‘sqlitecs’), then how does one indicate that the
product is built on or inspired by SQLite? Also, is SQLite
trademarked, or sqlite or both?

I thought Tito Ciuro’s now-in-limbo QuickLite was very cleverly named,
but it is generally gonna be difficult to avoid mention of SQLite in
the name.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org