P Kishor wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Noah Hart<n...@lipmantpa.com> wrote:
>> Richard sent me a gentle reminder that read in part:

>> Please also note that the SQLite source code is in the public domain, but
>> the "SQLite" name is not.  SQLite is a registered trade mark.  If I don't
>> defend the trademark, then I could lose it.  So, I really do need to insist
>> that you not use the name "SQLite" for your product.
>>
>> This is an excellent reminder, and until this is done, I've removed access
>> to the source code and will terminate this google code project.  I'll post
>> an announcement in the future when the new project is ready.

That's great.

> A very valid point from DRH re. protecting the sanctity of SQLite, the
> (tm), but the horse may have already left the stable. A quick search
> on macupdate.com reveals the following products with ‘SQLite’ in their
> name (with the indicated capitalization) --
>
> MesaSQLite
> SQLite Migrator
> SQLite Diff
> SQLiteManager X
>
> and
>
> SqliteQuery
>
> I am sure there are more on Win and *nix platforms.

Even if other projects exist, they can also still be requested to change their
names too if DRH considers there might be confusion in people as to whether
they
are official works of DRH.  Or barring that, the other projects can be asked to
prominently state anywhere one may encounter them that they are not official
works of DRH nor (if true) sanctioned by DRH.

> One question might be -- if one chooses a name that does not have
> ‘SQLite’ or any variations thereof in it (from what I can see, Noah
> called the product ‘sqlitecs’), then how does one indicate that the
> product is built on or inspired by SQLite?

Use the *description* text of the product to indicate its relation to SQLite.

> Also, is SQLite
> trademarked, or sqlite or both?

Trademark word-marks are case-insensitive (and usually are formally written
fully in uppercase), so the answer is "all of the above".

> I thought Tito Ciuro’s now-in-limbo QuickLite was very cleverly named,
> but it is generally gonna be difficult to avoid mention of SQLite in
> the name.

Its very easy.  Just make up some word that *doesn't* resemble "SQLite" (aside,
if you want, the "SQL" part) and use the description to indicate similarity.

>> Also, if anyone has an ideal about what to call it ...
>> Regards,
>>
>> Noah Hart

I suggest just putting together some combination of letters that hasn't been
used yet and reads nicely, and use that.  It doesn't have to be descriptive,
just unique and brandable.

Make your own brand identity and just document the relationship to SQLite for
credit purposes.  Searches for SQLite would still turn up yours due to the
documentation.

That's what I did when I made up the word MULDIS (MULtiverse of DIScourse) for
my DBMS project, and it's one of the best strategic decisions I've made.

Something else I did, and maybe DRH can do something similar if he hasn't
already, is write up an easy to find policy page about the best ways to use or
not use the word SQLITE (any capitalization) so to work with his trademark.

See http://www.muldis.com/trademark_policy.html for my full version for
example,
and http://search.cpan.org/dist/Muldis-D/lib/Muldis/D.pm#TRADEMARK_POLICY for
an
example abbreviated version accompanying a branded product.

-- Darren Duncan