> Store a value... I don't know when a transaction begins or ends, and I
> don't have a model of my own transaction. If i did, this conversation is moot.

And now please be so kind to explain why don't you know where
transaction begins and where it ends? Are you trying to mess up with
database belonging to application which is not yours? Are the BEGIN
statements so numerous in your application that you cannot insert one
more INSERT statement after each of them? Do you have any other
reason?

Pavel