Roger,
I'm not thinking of you as a gatekeeper but as a member of the "vocal
opposition".   You did oppose my request, after all, you didn't simply
ignore it.  But your opposition was not unreasonable -- it was simply based
on certain assumptions that I saw an opportunity to address.

Several things might be responsible for there being no "outpouring of
support" for a raw reverse function. Probably the two most important are 1)
it can be readily accomplished as a UDF, if you have access to the UDF
mechanism;  and  2) how many people are writing applications where "string
ends-with" queries are just as important as "string begins-with" queries?

Such queries are the bread-and-butter of some lexicographical or grammatical
natural-language oriented applications. I would use the function to flip the
raw codepoint order of text, storing the reversed version redundantly in a
second column, so that ends-with queries would have access to an index (with
GLOB): these queries would be restated as starts-with queries against the
reversed-format column. The search-term would be flipped by the function
too.

... where reversedColumn GLOB   reverse( ? )

Or maybe even there will be "virtual columns" in SQLite so that there would
be no need to store the reversed form redundantly in the base table. The
second column would be defined as virtual, pointing at an actual column, but
given a reversed collation, then indexed.

That the SQL dev team has not responded I take as an indication that this
would be very low priority for them, below the horizon of their attention,
 though I think the waters of the discussion may have been clouded by the
issue of an intelligent reverse function which would keep multi-codepoint
combining forms intact during the reversal process. I see no reason why the
two functions could not simply coexist under different names. Oracle and
SQLServer both have raw reverse functions now.

Anyway, the lack of such a function is only a problem for me vis-a-vis an
amalgamation distribution of SQLite.  I may decide to forget about it as a
target platform and rewrite the app as a web-service, where I would indeed
have access to the UDF mechanism.  But there was merit in having the
application work in offline mode too.

Regards
Tim Romano
Swarthmore PA