On 10 Apr 2012, at 1:42pm, Nick Shaw <nick.s...@citysync.co.uk> wrote:

> Realised I made a typo below: should have said "PRAGMA journal_mode = DELETE"
> (though setting it to WAL or OFF causes the same problem).

Are you by any chance having a technical problem with the PRAGMA command itself
?  For instance, suppose the command was encoded in UTF-16 and SQLite was
expecting ASCII.  Figure out what the default value should be (e.g. use the
shell tool to do a "PRAGMA journal_mode;") then change your normal app to set
the mode to that value.  See if it gives you the same problem.

Simon.