On 14 Sep 2013, at 10:58pm, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2013, at 10:41pm, Yuriy Kaminskiy <yum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... and I'd call even that difference between CURRENT_* and *('now') rather
>> "query optimizer artifact" rather than "documented feature one can rely
>> upon".
>> Anyway, one way or other, it is BROKEN.
>
> I would agree with you if the labels were different.  But 'CURRENT_TIME'
> means 'current'. If those keywords were STATEMENT_TIME, STATEMENT_DATE and
> STATEMENT_TIMESTAMP then that behaviour would definitely be wrong.

The answer, as usual, is to use your programming language to do non-database
things.  This is one of the reasons why I don't like seeing people try to use
the procedural features of a DBMS to write software complicated enough for
normal users.  A GUI database manager for a DBMS is a wonderful tool for a
programmer.  It's not an appropriate solution for users on its own.

Simon.