"Richard Hipp" wrote...

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM, jose isaias cabrera <cabr...@wrc.xerox.com
wrote:

Just noticed something...  It may be nothing, but the MinGW built DLL has
a size of 645KB while the MSVC built one has a size of 962KB.  Just under
33% bigger. I hope there is nothing missing on the MinGW one. :-) It's so
weird how MS DLLs and programs are always so much bigger in size then
non-MS built ones.  Just food for thoughts...

The MSVC DLL is 64-bit and the MinGW DLL is 32-bit. That accounts for part
of the difference.  Additionally, MinGW was run with the -Os option
(optimize for small size) whereas MSVC was run with -O2 (optimize for
maximum speed).  So MSVC is probably doing lots of function in-lining and
loop-unrolling that might make the code a little faster, but also makes it
bigger.

Thanks for the clearing this for me.  I have a few questions:
1. Do you know the percentage of SQlite users that use the built DLL, like me, rather than creating one? 2. Has anyone asked for the SQLite3 Team to provide the DLL created with the -O2 option rather than the -Os? (I would rather have the speed then the size. It's not like we are talking about a few Mb. Just wondering what would cause the team to make that process change.) 3. Is there a spot anywhere that has clear steps on creating the Sqlite3 DLL? (I may want to test that -O2 option as our application is based on a shared network file and we can use of some speed, most-times.)

Thanks for the wonderful support.

josé